An invitation to the The Berghoff's media preview of their Taste of Oktoberfest menu was a no-brainer. I work nearby and stop in occasionally for lunch at this true Chicago classic. Why wouldn't I want the opportunity to preview Chicago's largest, longest-running Oktoberfest celebration - Berghoff Beer and good food, can't be beat.
This year, Berghoff Executive Chef Mathew Reichel worked collaboratively with the Berghoff brewmaster to develop a full menu of authentic German festival fare expertly paired with a variety of brews, including:
- Pretzel with Beer Cheese Sauce and Berghoff Germaniac Pale Ale: This lager packs a refreshing and aromatic punch that cuts through the richness of Berghoff’s signature beer cheese sauce.
- Bratwurst and Berghoff Oktoberfest: Berghoff’s Oktoberfest brew is deeply malty, with a balanced hoppiness and caramel notes that perfectly compliment a classic grilled bratwurst.
- Quinoa and Grilled Vegetable Salad and Berghoff Lager: The light sweetness of the lager compliments the char on the grilled vegetables and plays nicely with the composition of this summery salad.
- Pork Stew (gluten-free) and Omission Pale Ale (a gluten-free beer): The full flavor and caramel malt color of Omission provides the perfect counterpoint to our rich and smoky pork stew.
- Apple Strudel and Berghoff Shambler: As refreshing as a breeze and satisfying as a summer sunset, Shambler features a dry creamy texture with a hint of citrus and spice that compliments the sweetness of our beloved apple dessert.
The pairings were spot-on, definitely worth trying on your own at the Oktoberfest itself.
The 29th Annual Berghoff Oktoberfest runs September 10 – 12, 2014. Free daily admission from 11:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m., at the John C. Kluczynski Federal Plaza. Berghoff’s Oktoberfest supports Mercy Home for Boys & Girls, which is dedicated to providing a solution for abused, neglected, and abandoned children in Chicago.
Celebrations continue inside The Berghoff Restaurant with special Oktoberfest events, including:
- Month-long celebration inside The Berghoff Restaurant featuring specialty Oktoberfest lunch and dinner menus (September 4 – October 31)
- Prost! Final Toast to Oktoberfest party (October 4)
This tasting was provided for review purposes - all opinions are my own.
Like 50 States Of Wine on Facebook
Follow 50 States Of Wine on Twitter
Subscribe to the 50 States Of Wine YouTube channel